- X visa: student visa, suitable for all students, especially those who will study in China for more than six months. Usually students can apply for X visa by submitting passport, admission notice, visa application form (JW202/201), physical examination report (required in some countries) and photos to the local Chinese embassy or consulate. Any student holding an X visa must apply for the residence permit within 30 days after entering China.
- F visa: visitor’s visa, usually valid for 60-180 days, suitable for those who plan to study less than six months. Students can apply for F visa by submitting passport, admission notice, JW202/201, physical examination report (required in some countries) and photos to the local Chinese embassy or consulate. If students with F visa decide to study for one more semester, they should pre-pay tuition fee of the next term and apply for residence permit two months before the current F visa expires.
- L visa: usually valid for 30 days, suitable for short term study no more than one month. Students from some countries can apply to extend/change their visa if they decide to continue their study after the short term program. They should hand in application form to OEC at least 20 days before the L visa expires, do the health check and change it into residence permit when JW202 form is ready. Students from some countries who apply for Chinese programs after the application deadline can ask for our approval, submit the application form to us by email or by fax, do the health check at a local qualified hospital and come to XMU with a tourist visa (L visa).
- Z Visa or Working Residence Permit: If foreigners with Z visa or working residence permit want to study in OEC, they should apply to us for admission notice and JW202/201 at least 20 days before the visa expires, ask for Employment Separation Certificate from the employer, do the physical examination and change the visa into a study residence permit.
- Visa On-arrival: Visitors from countries like Japan, Mongolia, and Singapore etc. are allowed to stay in China for 14 or 30 days without any Visa, which is called visa on-arrival. However, visa on-arrival can not be changed or extended. So students are not supposed to come to China without visa.
- Study Residence Permit: Study residence permit is a resident certificate for foreign students issued by Chinese Public Security Bureau, which can be valid from half a year to five years and allows multiple entries. Residence permit made in other universities should be cancelled and changed into a tourist visa in the former universities if it still has more than one month validity after OEC registration dates so that it can be converted into residence permit in Xiamen. Students can receive a resident permit through following procedures.
Residence Permit Application:
- Pay the tuition fee, change it for XMU invoice and complete registration procedures.
- Make sure that you will have admission notice and JW202/201 (yellow page) before your current visa expires. If not, please apply to OEC admissions office (Rm. 301, OEC Office, Tel: 2186211) as soon as possible. The documents can be ready three weeks after your application.
- Get the residence registration form at the dormitory reception. If you don’t live in dormitories, please go to the nearest local police station and ask for the residence registration form with passport, lease contract, house owner’s ID card copy, house ownership paper, etc.
- Do the physical examination in Xiamen Quarantine Bureau (passport, 4 pictures, about 450RMB, no breakfast) and get the health certificate the next afternoon. If you did the health check in your home countries, please hand in all original reports to the quarantine bureau for verification (passport, 4 pictures, 60RMB).
- Ask for Residence Permit Application Form and other documents from Overseas Student Affair Office (OSAO), bringing with you your passport, tuition invoice, residence registration form, admission notice copy, JW202/201 (yellow page), health certificate, and 3 photos.
- Go to Xiamen Public Security Bureau with all the above-mentioned documents to apply for residence permit. You can receive the permit in about one week. Fees: <1 year, 400RMB; 1-3 years, 800RMB; 3-5 years, 1000RMB.
International Travel Healthcare Center of Entry-exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau
Requirements: passport, 3 photos, 450RMB, no breakfast
Address: No. 31, Jinding Road, behind the Office building of Inspection and Quarantine Bureau
Bus: No. 22 Bus from Xicun or Baicheng to Shangjian
Notes: Health check can only be done in the morning and reports can be available on the afternoon of the next day; Physical examination reports should be handed in to Inspection and Quarantine Bureau and exchanged into Verification Certificate (60 RMB).
Overseas Student Affair Office of Xiamen University (OSAO)
Address: Main office at Rm. 806, Jiageng 3 Building, branch office (visa application) at Rm. 106, Lianxing Building
Entry & Exit Administration Office of Xiamen Public Security Bureau
Office hours：Mon.-Sat，8:00-11:45，15:00-17:45（summer）/14:30-17:15 (winter）
Address: No. 64, Zhenhai Rd. Xiamen (opposite to the No. 1 Hospital)
Bus: No. 86, 96, 35, or 809 Bus from Xicun or Baicheng to No. 1 Hospital (Di Yi Yi Yuan), then to the opposite side of the road.